One of the commonly encountered problems when making a lifestyle change is boredom. It’s easy to become stale in our menu choices and end up rotating through the same few dishes and inevitably sliding back towards unhealthy choices. The best way to avoid boredom is to incorporate at least one new food a week. It doesn’t have to be something extremely exotic just something you don’t cook on a regular basis. This week we added beets!
Beets have both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, meaning that in addition to being delicious they are extremely healthy for you. So healthy in fact they have caught the eye of researchers in recent years and are being studied for a positive impact on blood pressure, reduction in chronic inflammation and even increased athletic performance.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Wrap each beet individually in a single layer of tinfoil
- Bake for 1 hour, remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes
- Put on rubber gloves and remove skin with a vegetable peeler
How to incorporate beets:
- Plain, once they’ve cooled slightly, slice up and enjoy as is
- Diced, add it into your hamburger patties
- Salads – goes great with mixed greens, balsamic dressing, red onions, pecans, peach slices and pesto
- Roasted with butternut squash, brussel sprouts, red onion
- Alongside roast, steak or tenderloin