The nutrient of the day is Vitamin K! We don’t hear about K as often as we do some of the other vitamins but we should. Vitamin K is important for preventing heart disease, a long list of cancers and functions in blood clotting. Most of us get enough to have our blood clotting system working properly but not enough extra to protect us from all of the diseases that it potentially could. Vitamin K plays a protective role in preventing and reducing the incidence of prostate cancer as well as improving general vascular health.
- 1.5lbs Brussels sprouts
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili OR crushed red pepper flakes
- Garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled bacon bits (optional)
- Fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
- If adding bacon, cook entirely and crumble/chop to preferred size
- Cut sprouts in half OR in quarters (if you want them more crispy)
- Toss sprouts, olive oil, bacon (if adding) and all spices well in a bowl
- Set frying pan to medium and add sprouts
- Stir fry for 6-8 minutes or until all sprouts start to turn brown
For more tender sprouts serve now.
If you want them to have a deep-fried texture:
5. Preheat oven to 450ºF or “Broil” setting
6. Spread sprouts out on baking sheet and sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese (use parchment paper if available)
7. Cook/broil for 10 minutes, don’t let them burn!