It’s February which for my Manitoba friends can only mean one thing… Festival du Voyageur time! And nothing screams Voyageur more than Pea Soup! So you can fire this into the crock pot, head off to the party tents, drink some Caribu and return home to a great warm Ham and Pea Soup.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed
- 2 cups ham, diced or 1 ham bone (meaty) or 2 ham hocks
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste-definitely reduce if not using water)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 quarts hot water
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
- Pour in water. Do not stir!
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone
- Remove bones and bay leaf.