Every year right around this time I start to question why I live in a place that is literally colder than Mars. Truth is I love Winnipeg and always have, the trick to loving it is learning how to cope with the exotic weather, and for me nothing screams cold winters like a nice bowl of soup. Anybody who has seen me cooking soup will know that I love making soups, and I’m not just talking about the turn the can opener and plop in a bowl and microwave. I truly love making soups, so I went on the hunt for a soup that could keep me warm. It didn’t take long to find this awesome Paleo soup from http://www.mynaturalfamily.com
Yes I’m aware Sriracha isn’t Paleo (added sugar), but have you ever tried the stuff? It’s amazing, as far as I’m concerned it can do no wrong.
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (or other healthy fat)
- 1 medium cup onion, diced (~3/4 cup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can coconut milk (14 oz or 2.5 cups)
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha* or Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 medium lime, juiced (~2 Tbsp)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium to large non-reactive pot.
- Saute onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Then add garlic, tomates, shrimp and cilantro and simmer until shrimp turns opaque (3-5 minutes).
- Pour in the coconut milk and hot sauce and simmer for another 3-5 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Finish with lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
My favourite part of cooking is making a mess… never fails I always forget I’m the one that has to clean it up.