This weekend well I watched the Broncos and Seahawks win their respective conferences I also made this delicious soup. It was easy despite the long list of ingredients I was able to get through it no problem. I don’t know about anybody else but when you’re just looking for a lazy meal, the level of work for me can be measured by the length of ingredients. The soup was tasty but I think next time I make this one I will add some red pepper flakes to it, I like spicy soups (hence the Sriracha) and I think the red pepper flakes will give it just a bit more kick. Let me know what you think!
- 1/4 cup bacon fat, lard or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cauliflower “rice” or more to taste (for 2 cups worth take a bag of defrosted frozen cauliflower or 1/2 a head of fresh cauliflower and put in food processor or food “chopper” and process until cauliflower is the size and shape of rice)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups chopped chicken (For those on the go, rotisserie chicken works very well)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bag peeled and cleaned, uncooked shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, or green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- On medium heat, melt bacon fat or other fat in a large cooking pot. Add onions, yellow pepper, jalapeno, celery and carrots. Cook five minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional two minutes. Don’t let the garlic brown. Add tomato and the cauliflower “rice”. If you want soup that’s a little less soupy and more like meat and vegetables with a little broth, simply add a few more cups of cauliflower rice.
- Add cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and sauté a few minutes then add chicken and cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn down heat to low/medium.
- Add chicken stock and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Add shrimp, scallions, and cilantro and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.