(Makes 1 loaf)
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (** gluten free use alt flour: rice, almond, coconut)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips (non-dairy chips for those avoiding dairy)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup honey (I used ½ cup + ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 tablespoon molasses (I used 1 Tbsp nut butter)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and chocolate chips (basically, all your dry ingredients).
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk together your pumpkin, honey, molasses, egg, egg whites and vanilla (basically, all your wet ingredients).
- Now, blend the dry mixture into the wet mixture, a little at a time.
- Pour the batter into an oiled loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a cake tester (like a toothpick) comes out clean when you stick it in the middle. If you have to bake it longer than 40 minutes, loosely place a piece of foil over the top so the top doesn’t burn. Check every 10 minutes until done.
(Data is for 1/8 of the recipe and with original ingred)
Total Fat: 5 gm
Saturated Fats: 3 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 26 mg
Sodium: 407 mg
Carbohydrates: 52 gm
Dietary fiber: 4 gm
Sugars: 32 gm
Protein: 6 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 29