If you are watching your carb intake there are probably quite a few things you are dreaming of eating right now. Sushi is likely at the top of your list (along with pizza, sandwiches, and a number of other things). Today, lets address your sushi craving! Below is a recipe for riceless sushi. If you have ever made sushi at home before, the main change is using cauliflower as the rice (it indicates to puree – a blender works great to blend until rice-sized). This recipe gets a little fancier than that and gives additional alternatives for filling instead of rice. Experiment a bit and find what works best for you!
- 6 sheets toasted nori, seaweed wrappers
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mirin or 2 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 pieces smoked salmon or 3 pieces marinated shiitaki mushrooms or 3 pieces sushi grade tuna or 3 pieces shrimp or 3 pieces crab or 3 pieces imitation crabmeat
- Grate the carrots and zucchini but keep them separated. Mix the sesame oil, mirin and sesame seeds and drizzle 1/2 over the zucchini and 1/2 over the carrots. Toss until the veggies are coated. Set aside.
- Boil the cauliflower until very, very tender. Drain. Puree. Set aside.
- Place a sheet of nori on bamboo sushi roller mat or piece of plastic wrap. Place the grated carrot, zucchini, OR pureed cauliflower on about 1/2 of the nori sheet. Then lay out fillings of choice on top of the vegetables. Once filled, roll into a tube, seal edges with a bit of water and then slice each roll into 6 slices.
- Suggestions for combinations: Grated carrot w/ marinated shiitaki mushrooms, Grated zucchini and carrot w/ crab and avocado, Pureed cauliflower w/ salmon (I mix wasabi in with the cauliflower puree for extra flavour), Grated carrot w/ shrimps, zucchini, avocado and crab, Cauliflower puree w/ shiitaki mushroom and grated carrot, zucchini w/ smoked salmon and green onion.