Calling all mud heads! We’re going to Miami for Tough Mudder! Saturday February 16th, 2013. What is Tough Mudder… words can’t explain what it is… check out this video;
DEADLINE TO SIGN UP FOR TEAM: OCTOBER 15th @ 1900hrs*
*You can still be part of the team on race day but we will be basing accommodations, etc off the numbers we have at the deadline.
Last year Aspire sent a team to Arizona for Tough Mudder and anybody on that team will tell you how much fun it was. So this year we’re looking for somewhere more exotic. Miami, Florida. As of right now the plan would be to rent a house (sleeps ten) and rent a couple of cars and get’r done that way. This is what we did last year and house, car, fuel and groceries worked out to less than $250/each for the weekend plus flight.
If you’re coming with us, I need you to purchase your Tough Mudder ticket (click here) and forward me the confirmation email. firstname.lastname@example.org This way there is no confusion of who is coming. If you’re planning on staying elsewhere please let me know ASAP, as we only have room for 10 people in the house. We can take more people but it will require us renting two homes. When I receive your confirmation you will be added to a “TripIT” event, tripit.com. This is the easiest way to keep track of flights etc. If you are planning on coming down on a different flight you will be responsible for arranging a ride to the home. I was looking at AirCanada’s website and prices workout to be around $500 return for an indirect flight to Miami. Leaving Friday morning and returning Monday afternoon/evening. We arrive in Miami around noon and will drive to the house settle in (I call top bunk) and have the evening to chill out and check out the beach (or whatever). Race Saturday, have the afternoon to relax and party. Have all day Sunday to do whatever, and return Monday afternoon (Louis Riel Day). People are more than welcome to stay longer but you will be responsible for your own room and board etc.
We have secured a house for everybody close to Miami, it sleeps 16 people and has everything we need. Including a grocery store nearby and liquor store, just in case. It doesn’t have a pool but the beach is very nearby. You can see the details at http://www.vrbo.com/289345ha
What is Tough Mudder?
Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. As the leading company in the booming obstacle course industry, Tough Mudder has already challenged half a million inspiring participants worldwide and raised more than $3 million dollars for the Wounded Warrior Project. But Tough Mudder is more than an event, it’s a way of thinking. By running a Tough Mudder challenge, you’ll unlock a true sense of accomplishment, have a great time, and discover a camaraderie with your fellow participants that’s experienced all too rarely these days.
Tough Mudder is a proud supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project. To date, Tough Mudder participants have raised approximately $3 million to support thousands of warriors returning from the battlefield.
Every dollar raised is well spent
- Providing combat stress recovery programs
- Adaptive sports programs
- Benefits counseling
- Employment services
…and these are only a few examples of the programs offered to our injured veterans! These programs and services aid in brave Americans’ transition from service-connected injury to civilian life.
We Need Volunteers
- FILLED – Fundraising; we are looking to raise a $1500 to offset the cost of the house for everybody, but we will need somebody to spearhead this. So if anybody has some good ideas for fundraising, please speak up and step up.
- Photographer; we will need a team photographer for the event. This in itself is a workout, you will be running around the course trying to snap photos of us. In exchange for your photographic eye your portion of the house rental will be taken care of.
- FILLED – Clothing coordinator; we need somebody to organize the purchase of team outfits.
- FILLED – Logistical coordinator; this position will be in charge of ensuring car rentals, house rental, and that everybody has their ducks in a row.
We need Fundraising Ideas; I have set the target of raising $1500 to subsidize the cost of the trip. Funds raised will go towards (in order of priority) House rental, car rental, groceries, registration reimbursement. A couple of ideas have been put out there already if you have anymore ideas please don’t hesitate to speak up… we need all the ideas out there.
- Rumor’s Comedy Club night
- Bud, Spud and Steak
- Aspire will do $10 drop-ins on 6 consecutive Saturdays with 12 spots open and selling a spot for $10/each, invite friends and family. If this is full it will raise $720 towards our goal.
- Yoga Drop-in; McKenzie has offered to donate her time to raise money for the trip through drop-in fees.
We need a team logo; we will be racing in a uniform (you’ll see what I mean) but we need a logo… something bad ass and awesome! If you can draw or know somebody who can… would love to see some ideas.
Best Guess for cost breakdown
Before any fundraising or discount hunting it should breakdown as follows (please note all cost are estimations);
- Flight ~ $550
- House Rental ~ $120
- Car Rental ~ $60 (includes fuel- based off last year)
- Groceries ~ $35
- Registration ~ $130 (depends when you sign up)
- Travel Insurance ~ $10
- TOTAL ~ $900/each