This is a hearty vegetable-rich stew that dates back to pre-Columbian times, and often features chicken or pork. If you are vegetarian you can also try this meatless substituting with roasted corn, simmered squash and poblano peppers instead.
- 4 C frozen corn
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 2 tsp extra-virgen olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, ribs and seeds removed, chopped (or green peppers)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 C reduced-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 2-oz bag sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1 2-lb spaghetti squash, skin and seeds removed, flesh cut into 1-inch cubes (use 1 lb and save remaining 1 lb for another recipe)
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 3 oz low-fat feta cheese**
- 1 green onion, trimmed and minced
- ¼ C fresh cilantro, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place corn on sheet. Sprinkle with 1 tsp cumin and drizzle with 1 tsp oil, then toss corn with fingers to mix. Spread corn out to edges of pan and bake for 35 mins or until kernels turn golden brown, moving kernels around with a long spoon every 10 mins to ensure they roast evenly.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a large stockpot on medium for 1 min. Add onion and poblano pepper and cook for 3 mins. Stir in garlic and cook for 2 mins, stirring occasionally. Add broth, 1 C water, tomatoes, squash, chile powder and remaining 1 tsp cumin, and increase heat to high. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 mins. Stir in roasted corn.
- For the meat variation, add already cooked meat of choice (chicken breast (whole or ground), pork or beef)
- Spoon 2 ½ C soup into each of 4 bowls and top each with feta**. Garnish with green onion and cilantro.
You can also bake 2 whole wheat or Ezekiel tortilla shells and cut into strips and place in the stew **
** Omit feta and tortilla shells from recipe if following a Paleo diet
Hands-on time: 25 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Nutritional Info (2 ½ C soup and ¾ oz feta):
Calories: 362, Total Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Carbs: 58g, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 7g, Protein: 18g, Sodium: 385 mg, Cholesterol: 75 mg
** Values change if adding meat and/or tortilla