- 1 whole chicken, 2-3lbs quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large carrots
- 1 bunch celery
- 4 small spring onions
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pepper chicken pieces thoroughly and set aside.
- Pour olive oil into an ovenproof stockpot and heat over medium flame. Chop carrots, celery and spring onions into 1-inch pieces. Saute in olive oil for five minutes.
- Add 1 quart of water. Place chicken in the pot. Using kitchen twine, tie together sage leaves, rosemary, and bay leaf and place in the pot with the chicken. Cover and bake for one hour.
- Remove the lid and turn oven setting to broil. Brown chicken for five minutes. Remove from oven and serve with broth and vegetables.