Here’s a little office workout to help you get through the day, start with an exercise from the 60 Second Cardio section and do it for one minute, as the name implies. Now move on to the strength part, do each exercise for 45 seconds, don’t be afraid to take a break if you need to. Now go through the stretches and voila you’ve just had a great 10 minute workout at the office! Now get back to work…
60 Second Cardio | Warmup
OK let’s get started with the workout, choose one of the exercises and perform it for 60 seconds to begin our warmup, remember to do what you can do don’t push yourself to hard, you should still be able to talk while doing the exercise;
- Jumping Jacks
- Running in place
- Alternating foot hops
- Shadow boxing
- Walking Lunges
Time to build muscles | Strength
We’re going to do each of the exercises for 45 seconds each, if you need to take a break don’t worry just sit down and sip some water and start up again when you’re ready;
- Prisoner Squats; feet shoulder width apart hands on your head, lower your hips as far as you can being sure to keep your weight on your heels and stand up by pushing your hips forward.
- Sumo Squats; feet outside shoulder width hands on hips, lower your hips as far as you can, be sure that your knees don’t “drop-in”. Keeping your weight on your heels stand up by pushing your hips forward.
- One Legged Squats (45 seconds each side); With one leg in-front of you and the other supporting your weight lower your body as low as you can (you can hold on to something for support) then push through your heels to stand up. Try not to let your free leg touch the ground.
- Desk Pushups (check that your desk is sturdy enough); with your hands on your desk and feet together and behind you (forming a 45 degree angle with your body), lower your chest to the desk and then back up.
- Reverse Plank with Leg Raise; While on your back with your knees bent and feet together, raise your hips off the ground and bring one knee to your chest and then lower and repeat for the other side.
- Forward Lunge; with your feet together take an overexagerated step forward, then from this stretched position lower your hips to the ground, be sure that your knee doesn’t go over your front ankle. Push yourself back to the starting position and repeat for the other side.
- Butt Clenches; while sitting in your chair, flex your butt cheeks together so that your body raises up from your seat. Hold this position for 3 seconds and lower yourself back down. And repeat for the duration of the circuit.
Want an extra challenge? Add one of the exercises from the 60 second of Cardio section in between each exercise. Still not enough? Do the circuit again…
Stretch | Cool Down
Well done you’ve finished the workout! Time to stretch it out and cool down, take each of the exercises and do it for 30 seconds, you can also do these parts when you just need a quick break from work;
Be Opportunistic | Random Exercise
Not all exercise has to be planned, there are plenty of times during the day you can take the opportunity to get some quick exercise in. Cease these moments to maximize your journey to a healthier lifestyle;
- Run up the stairs; challenge yourself and put a little jump in your step while you run up the stairs.
- Take two steps at a time; instead of one step at a time try to skip every other step, be sure to hold on to the railing the first couple of times.
- Speed Walk; no more shuffling your feet, walk with a purpose and see how quickly you can get across the office or shop.
- Park farther away; this one is a no brainer, park farther away so that you have to walk a bit farther to the office. Keep trying to go farther and farther.
- Walk don’t email; going to e-mail somebody in the office down the hall, scrape the e-mail and go for a little speed walk over and say it in person.