I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner, I always get asked what should I eat before a workout. Well to make a long story short, it’s all about personal preference. What I will do is help you narrow down your preference.
There are a few key things we want to look for when choosing a pre-workout snack;
- High in Low Glycemic Index carbohydrates; what this means is you want carbs that will stay with you, a good example of this is a small amount of oatmeal, some whole grain pasta. Really anything that will help you go hard for your full workout.
- Lean protein; you want to have some protein in your system during your workout, this will help achieve a positive nitrogen balance resulting in quicker muscle repairing. A good example would be 3oz of lean chicken breast.
- Little to no fat; you want to avoid foods with too much fat in them before a workout, fat will “float” to the top of your stomach and can leave you feeling uncomfortable during your workout.
Some good examples would be;
- Greek yogurt with some cut up apple slices
- Oatmeal and a protein shake