- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1″ rounds
- olive oil spray
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced into 1″ pieces
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 796mL can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 540mL can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
Put the eggplant on a baking sheet and spray with oil. Broil under high heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the eggplant and spray the other side. Broil under high heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Remove to a cutting board to cool. Put the peppers on the baking sheet and spray with the oil. Broil under high heat until begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the 3 tbs. of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the garlic for 1 minute, then stir in the tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and broiled yellow bell peppers, stir and season with up to 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper to taste. Cut the eggplant into bite-sized pieces. Gently stir in the egg plant and basil.