- 4 ounces chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound day-old artisan bread cubes
- 1 14 1/2–ounce can fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, or 2 egg whites
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook sausage meat until browned, breaking it into chunks with a spatula. Remove from pan and set aside. Add 1 tsp canola oil to skillet. Add onion, celery and mushrooms, and sauté until tender. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes with cooked sausage, vegetable mixture, herbs and pepper. Whisk together broth and egg, and pour over stuffing mixture. Toss well to coat.
Spoon stuffing into 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until browned.
Makes 12 servings
Per Serving: Calories 134, Calories from Fat 24, Total Fat 2.7g (sat 0.6g), Cholesterol 23mg, Sodium 341mg, Carbohydrate 21.8g, Fiber 1.6g, Protein 6.5g